Monday, March 2, 2009

Crafting for the Kitchen

When I'm not finishing up the odd commissioned piece or knitting away I spend my free time making little gifts for friends and family. I really love giving handmade presents - always hoping that the recipients like the handmade aspect too! This year I seem to have a kitchen theme going on ....

While I was searching for something suitably cute, frilly and silly for Auntie Anita's birthday present I came across this wonderful apron pattern.
Would you believe me if I told you that I had selected some jolly fabrics to use for this gift before I found the pattern? And to my surprise it was the same line of fabric as in the picture - but in different colors. The whole project - fabric and all - must have been calling out to me. (Thank you to my lovely friend Christina who agreed to model the apron as long as I cut her head off!)
I also made some matching oven gloves (my own pattern) so Auntie Anita would have a fantastically stylish and overly frilly baking set!
I really enjoyed making this apron - it was so fast - and the frills were so much fun!
I then turned my attention to another birthday girl in our family - my sister-in-law Daphne. After asking Daphne what she would like for her birthday - she announced she would like some pot holders.
"Pot holders?" I questioned. "Are you sure? You can have anything you want."
"Pot holders." I was told.

These pot holders were super easy to make (9"x9"). They have a pocket on the side so that you can have a secure grip on those hot pots and bakeware.
I used one layer of cotton batting and one layer of heat resistant batting inside. And on the reverse I used hemp - which I thinks works quite well - at least I think it looks pretty and extra grippy at least! And then I made a series of five quilted pot holders (no glove pockets in these) ... ... that can be used for either gripping bakeware or as a pretty heat pad/mat for the table. I had fun quilting these out of scraps and I got to practice some more free motion quilting. I hope these will all satisfy Daphne's desire for new pot holders!

18 comments:

Kitty said...

Auntie Anita and Daphne are going to be totally thrilled with their gifts. Who wouldn't be?! x

Sue said...

Nice, bright cheery gifts. I like the potholders. I have a knitting pattern for potholders that I really like. I think I'll knit some up, mine are getting old.

Lappesola said...

I love the pear pot holders and the blue/brown combo.
Hugs from Sol

Jona Giammalva said...

Lovely corners on your pot holders!! :)

hetty said...

Auntie Anita and Daphne are two lucky birthday people! Lovely gifts! You used some really great fabrics!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What brilliant pot holders! Great gift idea - love the different fabrics you have used.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Great gifts. So bright and cheerful.

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

What fabulous creations. I love the apron, and the apple/pear pot holders are smokin'.

silverpebble said...

What lovely kitcheny things! Those pot holders are great and the apron is yummy too. The patchwork pot holder is especially magic. Emma x

Cathy said...

those pot holders are just lovely and so is your apron.

What great presents to give.

Anonymous said...

This is so cute and I really love those pot holders too. I've seen that apple fabric around and this is perfect for that. Nice projects and a pleasure to browse.

LizzieJane said...

I love these potholders Rachael, it is so nice to have someone appreciate a home made gift.
x

c.Rachel said...

What great fabrics you use! Good eye!

I would love being in my kitchen surround by those beauties.

UK lass in US said...

Those are lovely gifts. I know I probably wouldn't want to use them in my kitchen - I'd be too worried about spilling anything on them, as they look so good.

Lily Boot said...

The apron is so pretty Rachael, but the potholders are delicious! I just love your fabric choices - and the design is excellent. We were at Ikea the other day looking at potholders and they were so boring and bulky and unattractive we left them there - I'm heading for the sewing machine RIGHT NOW!

Kyoko said...

I love the apron you made! They are so great. Oh, my apron is so boring and it is just gray. I should have something bright like yours to make my kitchen work more fun (I am not good at cooking so much). Beautiful things you have there! :D

Ally Jay said...

I don't need any pot holders but yours are so lovely I would want them anyway. They are bound to be appreciated.

Mytutorlist.com said...

Wow, you're on a roll! They look great!