Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Memory Quilt: Wedding Memories



Five years ago a loving Sister and Bridesmaid made a plan - she would get each guest at the wedding to decorate a square of cotton with messages of love. These cotton squares would then be made into a Memory Quilt for the Bride and Groom. Five years later the squares had been decorated but the quilt had not been made. Recently her sister unfortunately got the news that she would have to have a double mastectomy - and she wanted to get the quilt completed to provide love and comfort to her sister after the operation.


I was honored to be asked to help complete this quilt. In my previous post I mentioned the 70+ Fancy Fandango's I had been toiling away on (see above). They were for this quilt. Each corner has a gold Fancy Fandango placed on it. I like that they add some texture to the quilt which would otherwise be perhaps a bit blocky.
 
You can clearly see the flower pattern I quilted all over. This flower design is an adapted from a design that Angela Walters showed me on her Craftsy lesson.



In the central panel there is a Celtic Blessing - it is quilted with hearts - it reads:

-->
"I wish you not a path devoid of clouds,
Nor a life on a bed or roses,
not that you might never need regret,
nor that you should never feel pain.
No, that is not my wish for you. ...


... My wish for you is:
That you might be brave in times of trial,
when others lay crosses upon your shoulders.
When mountains must be climbed,
and chasms are to be crossed,
When hope can scarce shine through.
That your gift God gave you
Might grow along with you
and let you give the gift of joy
to all who care for you. ....

 

... That you may always have a friend
who is worth that name.
Whom you can trust, and who helps
you in times of sadness.
Who will defy the storms
of daily life at your side. ...


... One more wish I have for you
that in every hour of joy and pain
you may feel God close to you.
This is my wish for you
and all who care for you.
This is my hope for you,
Now and forever."

At the base of the central panel I added some metallic free motion quilting to the Celtic Cross. I also added more Fancy Fandango's and some ribbon that had been kept all that time from the bridal shower. I wanted to make something that looked somewhat bridal bouquet like. The border around the blessing was made my doing a satin stitch over a piece of yarn. It made a very neat and nicely raised ridge for the border.

The label for the quilt is made from a decorated square too. I love this square. 



Here it is all folded up and wrapped in another ribbon from the bridal shower - ready to go to provide love, memories and comfort. 


Technical Info:
Batting: Quilters Dream Wool Batting 100% Wool
Backing Fabric: 110" Wide Quilt Backing Daisy Cream
Top: Client provided decorated cream & brown squares, Quilting Treasures Autumn Speckle Blender Pumpkin, Celebration Outline Rose Metallic Cream, Joy of Life Metallic Gold
Binding: Quilting Treasures Autumn Speckle Blender Pumpkin 
Ribbon: provided by client

Quilting Thread (Top & Bobbin): Sulky® Clear Premier Invisible Thread & Gutermann Decor Metallic Yellow Gold

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hi there Rachael! I wanted to drop by to say hello and say how lovely it was to meet you at the guild meeting this weekend. What a beautiful quilt this is. I love all the details you put into it! And, I love the playsilk dying info! I just bought my little girl a set of little silkies and have been thinking of dying some larger silks for her too. Looking forward to seeing you again!